Building Community through English
– a one week online training course for teaching online
The Hands Up Project works online with disadvantaged young people to help them develop their English language skills. We work mainly with children between the ages of 9 and 15, from complete beginner to B2 level, in class sizes of anything between 6 and 60 students. There is always an experienced teacher (with a good level of English) in the room with the children, so the sessions are mainly about working collaboratively with the classroom teacher to provide opportunities for the kids to interact and put the English they are learning to use. We have developed a simple but effective methodology for working in this way, with a particular emphasis on storytelling and drama activities, as well as communication and vocabulary games. Sounds interesting and rewarding? Then this may be the course for you.
After successfully completing the the course, participants will be awarded a Hands Up Project certificate. This will qualify them to become registered Hands Up Project volunteers and provide them with the skills and knowledge to join our team, hopefully doing a weekly online session with children in either Palestine or Jordan.
The course consists of 7.5 online contact hours, spread over five days (5 times 1.5 hour sessions) There will also be some time needed between sessions for planning and preparation. It’s a highly practical course and participants will be involved in doing things from the outset.
Participants will need to have a reasonably fast internet connection and a laptop or tablet, with a built in or external webcam. They will also need to download the free version of zoom onto the laptop they will be using. This is available here.
Day 1 –Zoom orientation session – the features of Zoom/ what is an appropriate methodology with this tool for this context?
Day 2 – Working and playing with images
Day 3 – Telling a story through Zoom
Day 4 – Dialogic teaching online – the online teacher as supportive audience
Day 5 – Word games and vocabulary revision exercises
Course schedule summer 2019 (all times are in UK time)
- Monday 5th August to Friday 9th August (10.00 am to 11.30 am each day)
- Monday 5th August to Friday 9th August (4.00 pm to 5.30 pm each day)
Course price: £95
- Friday 23rd of August and Friday 30th August 2019 (11.00 to 12.30 am UK time each day)
- Friday 6th September and Friday 13th September 2019 (11.00 to 12.30 am UK time each day)
- Friday 20th and Friday 27th September (11.00 to 12.30 am UK time each day)
- Friday 3rd and Friday 10th January 2020 (11.00 to 12.30 am UK time each day)
- Friday 24th and Friday 31st January 2020 (11.00 to 12.30 am UK time each day)
- Friday 7th and Friday 14th February 2020 (11.00 to 12.30 am UK time each day)
- Friday 21st and Friday 28th February 2020 (11.00 to 12.30 am UK time each day)
Course price: £40
Course Trainer: Nick Bilbrough
Places are limited to 10 participants on each course. Please contact us at email@example.com to check availability on your preferred dates and timings, and to reserve a place.